HISTORY OF KINOOKIMAW
The area now known as Kinookimaw was originally designated for the Touchwood Hills and Qu'Appelle Valley Indians in Treaty Number 4 of the Northwest Territories in 1874. In 1896 Indian Reserve No. 80A was surveyed by J.C. Nelson D.L.S.. An area of 2.2 square miles situated on Little Arm River on the south side of Last Mountain Lake was set aside as a fishing station for seven Indian Bands - Daystar, Pasqua, Gordons, Muscowpetung, Poormans, Muskoweken, and Piapot. It was reported that the land along the lake was broken and rocky, the land south of this was good for purposes, and that whitefish and jackfish were present in abundant supply.
As the area was used as a fishing ground there were few year-round residents. In 1890 a reserve at the north east corner of the property was set aside for Chief Kai-Kee-Wis-Tah Hans, "The Man Who Took the Boat" and his tribe. Also prior to 1900 William Henry McKay and family settled in the area. Two of his children, Edward and Emma (Daniels) were to become long-time residents of the area. By 1906 only three families stayed year-round and the Indians of the Piapot and Muscowpetung tribes came to fish occasionally.
In 1907 the Saskatchewan Government was interested in obtaining a surrender of the land to be used as a public park. The Indian bands refused to consider this request. In 1909 Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan continued to press the issue writing to Ottawa that "a summer resort known as Regina Beach has been located on the immediately joining property and a branch of the C.P. Railway is likely to cross the reservation next year." Although Scott thought this would strengthen his case, the requests were again denied. On May 12, 1910 Commissioner A. Bower Perry of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police made a request for the Regina Country Club to purchase or lease part of the reserve for an athletic and social club. He cited the position near the lake, good water and excellent site for golf links and other sports as reasons for the request. This request was also denied.Again in 1913 the Federal Minister responsible for Indians began negotiating with the seven Indian Bands to obtain a surrender of the lands back to the Crown for sale or lease.
March 23, 1918 negotiations for part of the reserve were completed. The Morning Leader, August 15, 1918 reported "It is the intention however, tosell the property in lots and it would appear that they are likely to sell well...Only the property abutting the lake will be sold, the Indians will retain the arable land on the hill...It is anticipated that when the property is subdivided and sold it will be annexed to Regina Beach and the whole incorporated as a Village." (Wm. Graham Commissioner of Indian Affairs). The Minister sold 49 acres of these lands to the Canadian Pacific Railway and 163 acres to the Village of Regina Beach to use as a resort. The rest was leased to farmers and to the Village for a nominal rent until 1965.
After 1965 the Indian bands worked to have possession of the unsold lands, some 1196 acres, returned. On April 21, 1970 the seven Indian Bands were registered as the Kinookimaw Beach Association under the Province of Saskatchewan Corporations Act. The Chief of each of the seven bands make up the Board of Directors.An Executive Committee comprised of three directors meet on a monthly basis to conduct the affairs of the Association. "The primary objective of the Kinookimaw Beach Association is to operate on a viable profit orientated basis in the short and long termas a means of establishing the Association as a self-sufficient profitable organization." (Page 18 - A Preliminary Ten Year Strategic Development and Management Plan for the Kinookimaw Beach Association - Ken Kirkham).
"The Seven Bands", in co-operation with the Department of Indian Affairs andNorthern Development agreed to a plan of economic development for the Last Mountain Lake Indian Reserve to include a golf course, campground, and residential lots. The development of the golf course and campground proceeded as planned and in addition the Kinookimaw Beach Association arranged a "Head Lease" from the Federal Government which was necessary to legalize the leasing of residential lots on an Indian Reserve. The first "Head Lease" was approved on July 27, 1975 for a period of 45 yearsto expire on 30 June, 2022. Subsequently in 1981 this "Head Lease" was extended to June 30, 2056.
The residential subdivision consisted of 180 lakefront and back lots and is supplied with road maintenance, street lights, and a pressurized water system. Lots are leased from the date of signing to June 30, 2056. An upfront fee in accordance to the appraised value of each lot is charged, in addition the leasee must pay an annual lease fee and a service fee to pay for road maintenance, street lights, water, and garbage pick-up. The leasing of lots began in late 1976 and some 60 lots have been developed, most to winter housing.